Sŵn Festival Industry Mixer
17-18th October 2019
Sŵn festival isn’t just about giving live music a platform, it is proud to support young people looking to make it in the music industry. We’ve partnered with University of South Wales to deliver a two-day industry event curated by Complete Music Update (CMU).
The event brings together artists, the music community and students for a two-day programme to inspire those that are looking to develop a career in the music industry.
From marketing yourself to finding the right partners, the day will provide an insightful basis and ideal networking opportunity for those who are considering a music career.
Expect panel discussions, Q&A’s and presentations from over 20 industry professionals who will share their experiences and advice on how to build and sustain your career in music.
“The music industry is turning round a more prosperous corner and with its spotlight on the value of music Cardiff is at the forefront of that change. It’s an exciting time for USW to host the SWN Conference at our Atrium Campus and we can’t wait to share the program with the City. The event will provide an important forum to educate, inspire and celebrate the sector in Wales. Whether you are developing a creative career, music business enterprise or studying for a qualification the SWN Conference will help support you with the skills and networks you need.” Lucy Squire USW Head of Music
“Having worked with Sŵn on educational projects in the past, we’re really excited to step up our involvement this year by helping to curate the conference side of the proceedings. The music business continues to evolve at quite a pace and CMU’s job is to help artists, songwriters and everyone working in music to navigate and understand all the latest trends and developments. That’s what we’ll be doing at Sŵn this October via a day of workshops and a day of debates, helping delegates get to grips with the business of music: locally, nationally and on a global level too.” Chris Cooke CMU
What to expect
BUILDING A CAREER
- how the digital music ecosystem works
- what partners you’ll need along the way
- how not to be taken for a ride
BUILDING AN AUDIENCE AND MOMENTUM
- how to make your live show engage audiences and further your career
- what promo works and when to spend money
- how to do social media right
- what is direct to fan and how to make it work
- getting to grips with data: what matters and what are just vanity metrics
SUSTAINABILITY AND LONGEVITY
- how to create your local scene
- mapping the industry in Wales
- gapping the industry
- how does everyone pitch in to drive success?
- what opportunities are there for creative/music businesses in Wales